Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- About 12 ounces (320 g) paccheri or other large cylindrical pasta shape
- A scant pound (400 g) zucchini
- 1/4 pound (120 g) mortadella di bologna, finely chopped
- 3 ounces (90 g) Swiss cheese, shredded
- 2/3 cup (80 g) pistachios, chopped
- 1 cup (50 g) freshly grated Parmigiano
- 1/3 cup (80 g) unsalted butter
- A clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4-5 fresh sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
While you are doing this, bring pasta water to a boil and salt it, and preheat your oven to 440 F (220 C).
Cook the pasta in the water, and while it's cooking melt all but 2 teaspoons of the butter in a skillet with the sage and the garlic. Let the herbs cook for a few seconds, then turn off the heat and remove and discard them. Combine the chopped mortadella, chopped pistachios, and the shredded Swiss cheese in a bowl and mix well.
Grease an ovenproof serving dish of a size proportionate to the volume of the ingredients with the remaining butter. Drain the pasta and season it with half of the melted butter, half of the grated Parmigiano, and half of the mortadella mix.
Layer the pasta and zucchini in the serving dish, sprinkling a little of the remaining butter, mortadella and cheese over each layer, until all is used up, finishing with some grated Parmigiano on top.
Bake the pasta for 2 minutes and serve.
Yield: 4 servings Paccheri with Grilled Zucchini
A wine? White, and I'd be tempted to serve a Suavignon from Friuli's Colli Orientali.