Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 can (32 oz. crushed chunky style) Italian tomatoes
- 4 tbs. olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, 1 of which finely chopped
- 2 lb. eye round roast thinly sliced (1/4 inch)
- 5-6 sprigs Italian (flat) parsley chopped (must use fresh)
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano or 3-4 fresh sprigs chopped
- 1/4 or1/3 cup Grated Romano or Parmesan cheese (according to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Heat remaining 2 tbs. of the oil in a frying pan . When the oil is hot, add the meat a few slices at a time. Do not crowd meat Brown on medium high heat for 2 or 3 minutes on each side removing slices as they brown. When all meat is done, discard any fat left in the frying pan and add enough sauce to cover the bottom of the pan. Top with a layer of meat slices, spread some of the chopped garlic over it, parsley, oregano, cheese, and some more sauce. Repeat layers until all the meat and spices have been used up. Top with a little more of the sauce and cheese.
Cover and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Arrange on a warm serving platter. Serve with a salad and some nice hot crusty Italian bread. Buon appetito!
Don doesn't mention a wine. I would go with a ligght, zesty red along the lines of a Bardolino.