Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- 4 bell peppers, about 2 1/4 pounds (1 k) in all. The colors are up to you
- 5-6 ripe tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeded, chopped and drained
- 12 ounces (300 g) baccalà, soaked to remove the excess salt, and skin and spines removed (you
- could also use fresh cod if need be)
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cloves garlic
- An onion
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- A bay leaf
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and hot pepper to taste
While the fish is simmering, preheat your oven to 380 F (190 C). Stir the rice into the baccalà. Stem the peppers, cut them in half lengthwise, rib them, and seed them. Salt their cavities, lay them in an ovenproof dish lined with oven paper, and fill them with the fish mixture. Bake them for 35-40 minutes, drizzle them with the remaining oil, let them rest for a few minutes, and serve.
Yield: 4 servings peppers filled with rice and baccala.