Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups (250 g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 pound (100 g) blanched peeled, toasted almonds
- 1/4 pound (100 g) toasted shelled hazelnuts
- 6 egg whites
- A healthy pinch of a mixture of powdered cloves, cinnamon, and coriander
- A pinch of vanillin or a few drops vanilla extract
Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and carefully fold in the nuts, sugar, spices, and vanilla.
Turn the batter into a sauce pot and heat it, stirring gently, over a low flame until it thickens and just becomes golden (or pale tan) in color; this will take about a half hour.
While doing this, preheat your oven to 320 F (160 C) and butter a cookie sheet.
Take the thickened batter, and drop it, a scant tablespoon (about half a walnuts' worth) at a time, onto the cookie sheet, leaving some space between drops. Bake the brutti ma buoni for about 40 minutes. Let them cool thoroughly and enjoy.
A note: Some cooks add a little regular all purpose flour to the nut mixture, which makes for a firmer batter that requires less careful folding. But from a flavor/texture standpoint, the addition is not at all necessary.