Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 3 ripe figs, washed, patted dry, and halved lengthwise
- 4/5 cup (100 g) flour
- An egg and a yolk
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnut meats
- 5-6 fennel seeds, ground
- 7/8 cup (180 g) sugar
- 2/5 cup (80 g) unsalted butter
- The grated zest from half of an organic lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Whipped cream (when serving the upside down cake)
Preheat your oven to 320 f (160 C).
Cream the butter with the remaining sugar, incorporate the egg and the yolk, and then the walnuts, flour, baking powder, fennel seeds, salt, and lemon zest.
Turn the mixture into the pan, leveling it with the back of a spoon, and bake it for about 50 minutes.
When the time is up, remove the cake from the oven, set a serving dish over it, and flip the pan and the dish. Remove the pan, and let the cake cool on the plate. Serve with whipped cream, for those who like it.