Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- A good-sized chicken, with its giblets, boned (see below link to instructions if need be)
- 5 ounces (120 g) prosciutto
- 1/2 cup freshly grated pecorino cheese (if you use Romano, make sure it's not sharp)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- The grated zest of a lemon
- The leaves of a sprig of marjoram, minced
- A clove of garlic, minced
- An egg
- 3 tablespoons broth or bullion
- Extravirgin olive oil for greasing the bird
- Salt & pepper to taste
In the meantime preheat your oven to 400 f (200 C) or built a good fire with abundant coals, should you prefer to grill or spit-roast the bird. In any case, cook it, on a rack if you're using your oven, and don't forget to baste it from time to time. It will be done in a bit more than an hour, or when a skewer inserted into the hip joint produces clear juices.
Let the chicken rest for a short while when it's cooked, slice it crosswise into thin slices and serve it.
Yield: 8 servings Umbrian roast stuffed chicken.