Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 6 servings red wine risotto
- 2 1/2 cups (500 g) Carnaroli, Vialone Nano, or other short grained rice such as Arborio
- 3/4 cup (150 g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 an onion, minced
- 1 quart simmering beef broth (lightly salted bouillon, including vegetable if need be, will do)
- 3 cups dry red wine, warmed
- 2 cups (100 g) freshly grated Parmigiano or Grana Padano (this will likely be more than you need)
- Salt to taste
When the rice is done frying and the grains have become translucent, begin adding the wine, a glass at a time, and letting it evaporate between additions. Then add broth, a ladle at a time, and stir in the onions. Once the rice reaches the al dente stage turn off the heat, stir in the remaining butter, the cheese, and serve.
The wine? More of what went into it.