Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds (700 g) small (2-3 inch-long) cuttlefish, fresh or frozen (the latter should be thawed)
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- A clove of garlic
- A pinch ground red pepper or more to taste (go easy)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Boiling water
- A bunch of minced parsley as garnish
- 3/4 pound macaroni, penne, or other short pasta
While the cuttlefish are cooking bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta. Drain the pasta al dente, transfer it to a bowl, and pour just the liquid sauce over it, stirring to make sure the sauce is well distributed. Arrange the cuttlefish pieces around the rim of the bowl, dust with parsley and serve.
The Wine? A Cirò Rosato from Calabria or Bardolino Chiaretto would be nice.
Yield: 4 servings macaroni with cuttlefish sauce.