Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 1/4 pounds fresh tuna, cut into 3/4-inch (2-cm) slices
- 1 pound (500 g) fresh tomatoes, blanched and peeled (they should be quite ripe; if need be use canned)
- 8 ounces (200 g) pitted black olives
- 2 ounces (50 g) salted capers, rinsed well and drained
- Bread Crumbs
- Fresh basil
- A fresh hot pepper (or more to taste, but go easy)
- Olive oil
Grease an oven-proof dish large enough for the tuna slices to lie flat in a single layer with a drizzle of oil, lay the slices of tuna in it, and dust them with bread crumbs. Then add the tomatoes, crushing them with your fingers, the olives, the capers, the basil, the pepper, and the salt. Sprinkle with more olive oil and bake until the fish is done (it will flake when pressed).
Another version: Boil the tuna steaks. While they're cooking mince a couple of cloves of garlic and a small bunch of parsley, and combine them with freshly ground black pepper and a few tablespoons of olive oil to make a sauce. Serve the fish with the sauce.
The wine? I'd go with Ciró Bianco, or perhaps Ciró Rosato.