Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings Frittelle Lodigiane
- Polenta made with 12 ounces (300 g; this should be about 2 1/2 cups) corn meal, 1 1/2 quarts (1.5 l) milk, and a pinch of salt
- 6 ounces (150 g) Swiss Cheese, finely sliced
- 6 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- Abundant unsalted butter or olive oil for frying
- A couple of lightly beaten, lightly salted eggs
- Bread crumbs and freshly grated Parmigiano (proportions to taste, for dredging)
Cut the slices of prosciutto and cheese into similar-sized rounds and lay one of each over half the polenta disks. Cover with the remaining disks.
When you are ready to fry the fritters, heat the oil. Dip the fritters in the egg, dredge them in the cheese and bread crumbs, and fry them until golden in the oil. Serve at once, with a zesty red wine. An Oltrepo Pavese would be nice.