Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
- 1 4/5 pounds (800 g) wild boar meat, cubed
- 2 ounces (60 g) diced fresh lard (optional, you could also use 1/4 cup olive oil)
- 1/4 cup (25 g) unsalted butter
- 1 quart (1 l) dry red wine
- 6 ounces (150 g) dried mushrooms, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes
- 1/2 pound (225 g) blueberries
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- An 8-inch sprig of fresh rosemary
- A small bunch of sage
- A sprig of fresh thyme
- 3-4 juniper berries
- An onion, peeled and chopped
- A healthy pinch of powdered cinnamon
- 2-3 cloves
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
Come time to cook it, remove the meat from the marinade with a slotted spoon and pat the pieces dry. Remove and discard the vegetables herbs, and spices as well, and reserve the marinade.
Heat the lard or oil and the 2/3 of the butter in a pot, and brown the meat, dusting it with salt, freshly ground pepper, and the flour as you stir the pieces about. When they are browned add a ladle of the marinade, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook, covered, for 2 hours, adding more marinade as the liquid in the pot evaporates.
By the time 2 hours is up the meat should be quite tender. Heat the remaining butter in a pan and sauté the mushrooms for a few minutes. Gently add to them the blueberries, and carefully add the mixture to the meat. Cook for a few minutes more and serve, with polenta.