Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 pound (400 g) spaghetti or the pasta shape you prefer
- 1 1/2 pounds (700 g) peas in their pods (shelled this translates to 3/4 pound, or 350 g)
- 3 ounces (75 g) pancetta in a single thick slice, finely diced
- A shallot, white part only, minced
- A 6-inch rib white celery, minced
- A small carrot, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Boiling water (separate from the pasta water)
While it heats, heat the olive oil and sauté the minced vegetables (they are actually herbs in this case) and pancetta over a gentle flame; when the onion has become translucent and begins to change color, add just enough boiling water to cover. Simmer the peas over a low flame until the water has almost completely evaporated and the peas are done -- a half hour at the most. When the peas are a few minutes shy of being done, salt the pasta water and cook the pasta, timing things so the peas and pasta will be done together. Drain the pasta, transfer it to a bowl, season it with the peas, and serve.
Yield: 4 servings pasta with peas.