Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 pound (450 g) beef, either raw or boiled (you can also use other meats)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups grated Grana Padana or Parmigiano Reggiano (about 120 g)
- A handful of day-old Tuscan bread, stripped of crust, steeped in milk for 5 minutes, and squeezed dry.
- A healthy pinch of salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste
- A small bunch parsley, minced
- Olive oil
- A lightly beaten egg
- Bread crumbs
- Oil or unsweetened butter
Note: If you're using cooked meat (e.g. leftover boiled or roasted beef) use a little more bread dipped in milk and a little less grated cheese. As another variation, once you have browned the meatballs, pour about 3/4 cup (180 ml) of milk over them, and simmer them until the milk has thickened and reduced to form a sauce. In terms of a wine, I'd go with a light red, for example a Bardolino.
Yield: 6 servings cheesy Italian meatballs.