Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
- 2 pork shanks weighing about a pound (450 g) each
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into rounds
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 4 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- A small head of Savoy cabbage, cut into thin strips
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation:Wash the shanks and put them in a pot with cold water to cover. Bring the pot to a slow boil and simmer the shanks, covered, for 90 minutes. When the time is up season them to taste with salt and pepper and add the carrots, onions, and potatoes.
Continue simmering for 15 minutes more, and then add the sliced cabbage. Simmer until the vegetables are tender (figure at least a half hour), check seasoning, and serve at once.
This will be quite nice with polenta, and will also work well with a zesty red wine, for example an unoaked Barbera or a Chianti D'Annata.