Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 3/4 pounds (800 g) potatoes; you will want mealy or baking potatoes
- 3 tablespoons (40 g) unsalted butter, in bits at room temperature
- 3 cups (750 ml) milk (whole will give richer mashed potatoes)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A pinch of freshly ground nutmeg (if you like it)
Drain them peel them as soon as they have cooled enough to be touchable, and put them through a potato ricer, collecting the riced potatoes in asaucepot.
Set the saucepot over a very gentle flame, and incorporate the butter, stirring with a wooden spoon. Next add the milk a bit at a time in a thin stream, stirring briskly all the while, until all lumps are gone and it is creamy and of the consistency you like (you may not need to add all the milk). Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg (if you like it) and serve at once.
Note: As I said, there are many variations to mashed potatoes. Among the Italians ones are:
- Using stirring in a cup of heavy cream, followed by sufficient milk to achieve a creamy texture.
- Adding 2-3 tablepspoons freshly grated Parmigiano