- 1 1/3 pounds (600 g) tart apples
- 1 1/3 pounds (600 g) tart pears
- 1 pound 2 ounces (500 g) sugar
- 3 to 6 drops of mustard essence (an oil; you may have to visit a
- spice shop for this) per pound (500 g) of mostarda obtained
Transfer the syrup to a pot, bring it to a bowl for a couple of minutes, then pour it back over the fruit. Let the fruit rest 24 hours more, repeat the process, and then do so again the day after.
The day after the final boiling of the syrup, transfer everything to a pot and simmer the mixture gently to drive off most of the liquid. When it has thickened, let it cool, stir in the mustard essence, and transfer it to sterile jars. It's perfect with boiled meats.
Note: Purists simply concentrate the syrup, without cooking the fruit.