Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- The grated zest (yellow part only) of an organically grown lemon
- 4 1/5 cup (500 g) all purpose flour, sifted
- 4 eggs and 4 yolks, beaten
- 1 1/8 cups (225 g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/5 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons Marsala or dry Sherry
- A pinch of salt
- Flour for dusting
- Powdered sugar
- Oil for frying
Make a mound of the flour on your work surface and scoop a well into it. Add the sugar, baking powder, and salt, and then use a fork to stir in the eggs, melted butter, milk and Marsala. Work the resulting dough with your hands until it is firm and elastic.
Divide the dough into 6-8 pieces and roll each out into a 3/4 inch (2 cm) diameter snake, cut the snakes into 3/4-inch pieces, roll them between your palms to round them, and set them on a floured surface.
When you are close to finished, set your oil to heating. Fry the castagnole until they are a pretty golden brown, drain them well on absorbent paper, dust them with powdered sugar, and enjoy.