Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound (450 g) penne (or spaghetti if you prefer)
- 2/3 pound (300 g) peeled, seeded, and chopped plum tomatoes or a drained 1-pound can of tomatoes
- 1 finely chopped medium sized onion (optional)
- 2 minced cloves of garlic, or more, to taste (don't overdo it)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or more, to taste, OR 1-2 fresh hot peppers, seeded stemmed, and shredded
- 5-6 basil leaves, shredded
- 1 1/4 cups grated pecorino Romano, or, if you find it too sharp, 2/3 cup each of grated Parmigiano and pecorino, mixed
Serve with a white wine from the Colli Albani, such as Fontana di Papa, and follow it with Saltimbocca alla Romana.
A wine? White, from the Colli Albani.
Yield: 4 servings penne all'arrabbiata.