Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 6 zucchini of the same size, weighing about 1 3/4 pounds (800 g) in all
- 1/4 pound (100 g) ground beef
- 1/4 pound (100 g) fresh mild Italian sausage, peeled and crumbled
- A couple ounces of day old bread, crusts removed and crumbled (3/4 cup not packed)
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmigiano
- An egg
- 1 clove garlic
- A medium-sized onion
- A small bunch parsley
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 a bouillon cube
- Fresh thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste diluted in 1/4 cup water or broth
By now the water in the pot will be boiling; add the zucchini and cook them for 5 minutes from the time the water resumes boiling. Then remove them and set them upside down so they drain as they cool. Preheat your oven to 380 F (190 C).
Fill the zucchini with the stuffing, pressing it down firmly. Arrange the zucchini in a buttered pan, brush them with the tomato mixture, and bake them for 25 minutes, basting regularly with the pan drippings. If they appear to be overbrowning, cover them with some aluminum foil for the last 10 minutes. Serve at once.
The wine? I'd go with a light red, for example an Aglianico d'annata (not the riserva), or a fresh, fruity unoaked Barbera.
Yield: 6 servings stuffed zucchini.